It’s Sunday and time for a new #SixforSunday post! This weekly bookish meme is created by my favourite bookish person Steph @ ALittleButALot so make sure to check out her posts!
This week’s prompt is to share 6 of our bookish hates which I have adapted more into bookish peeves. The things that maybe put me off picking up a book!
- Loooooong chapters: ugh. I really don’t like it when a book has SUPER long chapters. It definitely means I am less likely to pick up my book and get really stuck into it. I once picked up a book which had chapters that were 70+ pages long. I just couldn’t get into it at all.
- Covers with real people on: I don’t really find it appealing when a book cover has a real person on (unless we are talking about an autobiography etc). It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy it, but it definitely means I would take more persuading.
- Series in different sizes/cover changes: Boy is it frustrating when books change size or cover style midway through a series. Especially for those of us who may have bought a series from the beginning. Want to release it with new covers? Fine by me! But do it at the end please.
- Hardback vs Paperback release dates: I am a much bigger fan of paperbacks (unless you are one of my favourite authors) and so I find it really frustrating when often there is a 12month delay between the release of a paperback following the hardback release.
- More plot than character: This could be an unpopular opinion but I would always prefer to fall in love with a character than speed through an adventure never getting to know the characters well!
- Dialogue without speech marks: I don’t know why but this irks me a bit. I think it makes my brain find it harder to process the book!
What books are some of your bookish peeves?
I’d love to hear from you in the comments!